Thursday, October 29, 2009

Animal Crackers and Cocoa to Drink



There was a little book that we read quite a bit when the kids were little and even today it brings back the sweetest memories to me.  Out of the little book, was a favorite poem that we loved.


The book was called "A Merry-Mouse" book of Favorite Poems" by Priscilla Hillman. The pictures were really sweet.  The Poem is called "Animal Crackers" by Christopher Morley.  It is definitely in my list of "Cozy Things".  

                                        
Animal Crackers
by Christopher Morley

Animal Crackers and Cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think,

When I am grown up and can have what I please, 

I think I will  always insist upon these.

What do you do when you're offered a treat?

When Mother says, "what would you like best to eat?"

Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?

It's cocoa and animals that I love the most!

The kitchen's the coziest place that I know:

The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,

And there in the twilight, how jolly to see

The cocoa and animals waiting for me.

This poem always makes me hungry for animal crackers in the literal sense; click here for a yummy animal cracker recipe

Click here for an updated post and Cocoa and Animal Tea Party post


5 comments:

  1. Delightful! I am glad you posted this. Now I can find it whenever I need to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had to learn this poem in the 2nd grade. I am 65 and can still recite it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, but there's another verse to the poem. It ends with"and father once said how he'd like to be me, having cocoa and animals once more for tea"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daddy and Mother dine later in state,
      With Mary to cook for them, Susan to wait;
      But they don't have nearly as much fun as I
      Who eat in the kitchen with Nurse standing by;
      And Daddy once said, he would like to be me
      Having cocoa and animals once more for tea.

      Delete