My husband said this side dish should really be considered a dessert. I would have to say he's right, because it is an "oh my goodness, delicious sweet perfection".… but I like to think of it as a vegetable side dish then I don't feel guilty when eating it; especially after I have had seconds and am considering thirds. It reminds me of a pumpkin pie, or pumpkin custard, or sweet potato casserole. I tweaked this recipe a little by changing the sugar and flour into some healthier options, making it a wholesome dessert-like side dish and a wonderful way to get your kids to eat carrots; believe me they will not complain.
Mix together carrots and all remaining ingredients (except the honey).
Spray a small casserole pan with non- stick cooking spray.
Pour mixture into casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Drizzle with honey...
...covering entire casserole. Return to oven and Bake another 10 minutes.
It is so, so good.
1 pound carrots, steamed and pureed (2 1/2 cups carrot puree).
1/2 cup coconut sugar or sucanat
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons whole wheat or whole spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
Honey for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all ingredients (except honey) in a mixing bowl and mix with a hand held blender or mixer.
- Spray a small 8 inch casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into casserole pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more, being sure that center is firm