I made a double batch of this today for Steve to take to the men's ministry. Its a perfect Fall dessert and I love an opportunity to make it for a crowd. I have sometimes made it in place of Pumpkin Pie on Thanksgiving, because it is a nice variation of Pumpkin pie, is just delicious and serves a lot of people. Steve's Mom gave me the recipe many years ago, and it is one I have made and enjoyed many times over the years.
This is an easy recipe to do when you don't want to make a pie crust, but you still want some pumpkin pie.
Begin with your Cake mix in a medium sized bow.
Add butter and eggs and mix until well combined. Note: I made a double batch when I took these pictures, thus the picture shows two eggs instead of one.
Texture will be almost like cookie dough.
Press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Mix together pumpkin filling and spoon into cake batter base.
Mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top of the filling.
Place into an oven preheated to 350 degrees.
Bake approximately 1 hour, or until filling is set.
Cool, slice and serve.
Its a bit like Pumpkin pie and coffee cake combined.
Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream….
For the Base:
1 package yellow cake mix ( or 3 1/2 cups homemade cake mix) : out of this reserve 1 cup for topping.
1/2 cup melted butter
For the Filling:
1 15 oz can pumpkin
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup Sucanat, Coconut Sugar or Organic Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
For the Topping:
1 cup of reserved cake mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup Sucanat, Coconut Sugar or Organic Sugar
1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the ingredients for the base.
- Spread and press the batter into the prepared pan; Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients and mix well.
- Pour or spoon the pumpkin filling over the cake.
- For the topping, combine the first three topping ingredients.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping ingredients over the pumpkin filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until filling is set.
- Serve cold, topped with whipped cream.