Thursday, March 14, 2013

How to De-Skunk Your Dog; A Remedy that Really Works

Yes, Shorty got Skunked again.

 If any of you live out in the country...  and you have dogs.... and you have skunks, you will more than likely have need of a good de-skunking recipe at one time or another...  

Well, this is a good one.  It is very easy,  and it really works.   I have tried quite a few of them in the past, including the old "Tomato Juice Remedy", none of which work very well.  But this one, this one is amazing. I have used this one on Shorty many times, and I have to say it does the trick... almost 100%.

Scroll to the bottom for the Recipe.

 Do we really have to go through this... I mean I don't really see what the problem is.


 You aren't really gonna do this to me are you?

I can get this stuff off of my face myself.


See?



"Oh Rats!"


" I guess that doesn't feel too bad."

" I like the way you're rubbing under my chin."


 "Yes I know I am a good dog but why did every body get so upset?"


"Can I get out now?"


 "Com'on, give me a little break."

 "Did you say I would get a treat when we're done."

 "Let me think about it."

 "Ya, okay,  that sounds pretty good."



Shorty's Deskunking Recipe


Ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Liquid Soap

Instructions:

1.  Mix all three ingredients together in a plastic, ceramic, or glass container (apparently metal causes a wrong chemical reaction, so don't use a metal container)

2.   Sponge onto pet, working it into doggies hair thoroughly.  Let set 5 minutes (or more if  it seems necessary).  Be careful to avoid eyes (not an easy task, since most of the time  Peppe L' Pew's missile is aimed, fired and  executed right between the eyes of poor helpless and defenseless "Shorty" type doggies. Okay, helpless and defenseless is probably taking it a little too far... we might need to inquire after the skunk).

3.   Rinse thoroughly with warm water.    



I hope you won't need this recipe, but if you do I am so glad to share it with you.



As an update, I have used this recipe several times…. because well, Shorty gets skunked a lot…. it works every time.  The key is leaving the mixture on your pet for 3-5 minutes; which gives the formula time to work.   



7 comments:

  1. No skunks here, thankfully! Pam, your doggy conversation was so funny ..! Poor little mutt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I needed a good laugh today! Poor Shorty! Glad he no longer smells and you all can enjoy him again....
    Take Care,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shorty is adorable! So glad he isn't stinky anymore. I'm going to put this recipe on file just in case. Mavy doesn't range far, but a skunk just might!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep - we used this exact same recipe on valentine's day! nothing like a visit from pepe le pew! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I just pinned this post to my Pinterest account. You just never know when you may have to de-skunk your dog! LOL! And I've never used this recipe, but in the past when our dogs have gotten skunked, it takes soooo long for them to stop smelling so I'm glad to have this recipe on hand for when it's needed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used this recipe three times now. Shorty sure has a bad record regarding skunks. I come to this recipe every time and it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I'm so glad it has worked for you.... we are still using it, and I am sorry to say that Shorty is still in need of it 3 -4 times a year, haha.

      Delete