Sunday, September 6, 2015

Cowboy Caviar


I've been making my Hubby of few of his favorites this weekend.  This is one of them.  You probably guessed by the title of this post that this dish is called "Cowboy Caviar".  I love the name don't you?  It is one of those eat off and on through the day sorts of dishes that disappears quickly. It can be served with chips as a bean salsa or as a side dish as a bean salad and it is delicious in either capacity.  It is a hit at "get togethers", and is nice to keep in the fridge to serve to a hungry cowboy with some tortilla chips to take the edge off of a hungry appetite before dinner.  


Here's what you will need: 

1 15 oz can of Black Eyed Peas 
1 15 oz can of Black Beans, 3/4 cup Fresh Corn off the cob or two cobs of corn (Frozen is okay).
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced (I like to use the little grape tomatoes…but any will work).
1 Pickled Jalapeño  pepper, diced (optional… or you can replace with green chilis).
1 ripe avocado, chopped
6 strips of bacon fried and crumbled
1 cup crumbled feta or chopped queso fresco or cheddar cheese
Cilantro for garnish.
Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Tortilla Chips

Begin by chopping vegetables, frying bacon and cutting the corn from the cob; Reserve 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease after frying, and lightly and quickly brown the corn.  Set to the side until needed.

Drain and rinse your beans and place in a medium sized serving or mixing bowl.


Add peppers,

Tomatoes, onion and corn,

Avocado,

Cheese,

and bacon.

Stir gently.

Whisk together dressing ingredients.

Drizzle over beans and vegetables. Stir until dressing is well distributed.  


Put into a nice serving bowl.


Enjoy!


I love this as a bean salsa and so does Steve.


Num Num!


Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can seasoned black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can seasoned or plain black beans or pinto beans drained and rinsed
3/4 cup Fresh Corn off the cob or two cobs of corn (Frozen is okay).
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced (I like to use the little grape tomatoes…but any will work).
4 or five slices jalapeno pepper slices, diced (optional… or you can replace with green chilis).
1 ripe avocado, chopped
6 strips of bacon fried and crumbled
1 cup crumbled feta or chopped queso fresco or cheddar cheese
Cilantro for garnish.

Dressing:
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1  large lime, juiced (or two small limes juiced)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

  1. Fry up bacon and reserve 1 Tablespoon of drippings.
  2. Cut corn from the cob and brown quickly in the bacon drippings; no need to cook thoroughly, allow the corn to remain crisp.
  3. Chop remaining vegetables.
  4. Gently combine all ingredients except Cilantro.
  5. Make dressing by combining all the ingredients and whisking together well.
  6. Drizzle the dressing over the bean and vegetable mixture, then stir gently.
  7. Garnish with Cilantro.
  8. Serve with Corn Chips or as a salad/sidedish.
  9. Enjoy!

This makes a nice appetizer for a Holiday.  I'm serving a it up for our Labor Day weekend.


Have a nice Labor Day Weekend Every One!

13 comments:

  1. Hmmm...oh Pam! These beautiful pictures ha my mouth watering throughout...you are an incredible photographer by the way!
    This will just have to be tried sometime very soon...it looks like the sort of thing I would really enjoy...*smiles*

    And I am simply delighted to ''meet'' you, Pam! Thank you for stopping by my blog today...it alsways brings a smile to my face when I make new friend!

    May you have a blessed week ahead...much love!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly-Anne,
      Thank you for your sweet comments, and for stopping by… I am so happy to meet you as well, I will look forward to staying up with your posts; your blog is beautiful and inspiring. Have a blessed week. XOXO

      Delete
  2. Mouthwatering amazing pictures! Wish I could eat this right now it looks so good! Been missing your cooking over here but so happy that your cowboy has his girl back to cook for him!!!

    LOVE YOU
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes your Dad is very happy to have me… missing your girls though; can't wait until we are all in the same place at the same time. Love you so much.

      Delete
  3. That looks so yummy. :) I know my family would LOVE it as well. I think I need to pick up a few of these ingredients and we will be eating this too. :) I agree with everyone else your pictures are AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki, you are always such blessing.

      Delete
  4. We love Cowboy Caviar! Barry loves the creamy version of it best... and he told me to tell you thank you for the birthday wishes. We had a wonderful time away...
    Have a good one! Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up the creamy version Amy, it looks and sound delicious; I will have to give that one a try.

      Delete
  5. Made this last night! It was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad Barbara, thanks for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete
  6. Oh....this looks SOOO good! As always, your photos are stunning. I picked up a few of the ingredients I need to make this today....must try it soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camille, you are always such an encouragement to me. I think you will really the recipe. So good to hear from you. XOXOX

      Delete
  7. Oh my Pam this is making my mouth water! I am going to have to make it this week! My family would love it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete