For these wonderful, wholesome little animal crackers I use the same recipe as the graham cracker recipe, and they are delicious. They are a healthy cookie for the little ones, but don't loose any part of "delicious" by their being healthy... it is hard to eat only a few. Be sure to try both the original graham flavor, and the chocolate, which I think is my favorite (but I'm not completely sure... and don't want to commit myself to that statement yet... because..... what if I change my mind?).
2 1/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dehydrated cane juice (also known as Rapadura or Sucanat found in health food store)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
For Chocolate Grahams, add 1/3 cup cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan.
4. In a mixing bowl stir together dry ingredients.
5. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until you form a ball.
6. Roll out to about 1/4 of an inch on parchment paper or lightly floured surface.
7. Cut animal shapes with cookie cutters. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
9. Turn off oven and leave crackers in oven 3-5 minutes longer if you like to crisp
10. Ice them, or serve them as is.
1 cup organic powdered sugar
2 -3 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Stir together until blended if the frosting is too thick, add a little more milk. I like it to be able to be dripped and drizzled over the cookie.