Saturday, January 18, 2014

Almond Joy , Chia Pudding



I love my chocolate.  Like many people I often want a little chocolate every day after lunch or dinner.  I recently tried some Chocolate Chia Pudding, and found an answer to my craving problem.  Here is a  way to have my chocolate treat that is  nutritious and delicious;   Even Steve likes it, and he isn't a big dessert eater. Not only is it "comfort food tasty", but the Chia seeds work a little like an appetite suppressant, leaving you feeling full and not craving something for quite a while.  Here is a good link to the benefits and uses of Chia Seeds.

I have made up some Chia Pudding every other day all week long.  We are feeling the benefits.  I make up a big batch, and we have a few spoonfuls when we want a snack, or a little bowl full when we want a dessert.  It takes about 5 minutes to make.  I played with a lot of different recipes and  came up with this one, which we liked  the best.  It has chocolate for that chocolate craving,  coconut milk and shredded coconut for your coconut benefits, and almond milk and almond extract to complete the ingredients for an Almond Joy flavor that I often long for.  It is sugar free, and a wonderful way to have your sweet treat without all the sweet if you know what I mean.  All of these ingredients are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, so it is truly a healthy snack or dessert.  It is also Trim Healthy Mama Friendly.  Use the Coconut Cream for an S meal and the Coconut Milk for an E meal.


 Little seeds, lots of goodness.



Put 1/2 cup Chia Seeds in a bowl.


Pour in 1 1/2 cups Almond milk



Stir together well.


Add 1 can of Coconut Milk, 1 teaspoon Vanilla or Almond extract  and




1/2 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut



Mix and add




1/4 cup Cocoa and 1/2  cup Xylitol (or sugar of choice; adjust to your own taste)


Stir…..


Until all is well mixed.




Spoon into dessert dishes;



Garnish with Almonds and shredded Coconut.


  Enjoy!



Almond Joy Chia Pudding

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Chia Seeds
1 1/2 cups Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1 12 oz can  Coconut Cream (or 1 1/2 cup).
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
1/2 cup Xylitol,  (or any sweetener you like)
1/4 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon Vanilla or Almond Extract

For Garnish: Roasted, sliced almonds, shredded coconut

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together in the order listed.  The Chia Seeds begin to swell in 10 minutes, and make the most wonderful pudding like texture.  Allow to soak 15 minutes to 2 hours: It gets thicker the longer it sits.  Keep in the refrigerator for the week and enjoy.   Here is a great link about the uses and benefits of Chia Seeds.  If you want to make this a Trim Healthy Mama E meal (low fat), Use more almond milk in place of the Coconut Cream, and use only  3/4 cup instead of 1 1/2 cups).


Does anyone remember the Chia Pet?  I had one when I was a kid.  I just recently realized that it was the same seed.  We didn't know in those days that it was good for you, it was just a novelty to make it grow on the clay animal.

Have a great weekend everyone and don't forget to enjoy your chocolate.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm Mmmm Mom! These pictures are mouth watering. I wish I could have me some of that amazing pudding this morning for breakfast! Love your pretty dish also!

    Love the step by step photos because it sure breaks it down so much easier for me. I have always been a little intimidated to try Chia seeds. Not any more!!

    Love you so much!!
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Pam,
    I loved this idea! But I have had a bit of a check on the effects of those little seeds on my track :)
    As in the past those little seeds have caused me to have pain. I do not even try popcorn anymore :(
    I may need to google and see if others have had some trouble with the little seeds! Oh, just give me chocolate PLEASE!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. really? the same seeds? i never made the connection, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always post the BEST recipes! I am not doing THM, but I do the clean eating lifestyle. This recipe fits in perfectly with that. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing it!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting recipe. I never would have imagined those little seeds going into chocolate. I'm with Roxy, just give me a bit of chocolate and I am one happy little camper!

    Beautifully amazing pictures!

    I hope you are having a wonderful week. I'm getting caught up in the blog world before we do our studies!

    Happy Day!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this Mom!! I kept meaning to ask you for the recipe!! I can't wait to try it! And oh do I love your pictures. It looks DELECTABLE!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every morning I warm 1/2 glass of milk and add one scoop of chia seed and drink it. It's just so healthy. I also make the chocolate pudding and it's yummy on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally decided to try your recipe for the Almond Joy, Chia Pudding today. I had a jar full of the Chia Seeds in my pantry, but I really didn't know what to do with them. I must say, this pudding is delicious! I don't eat a full bowl, but just a couple teaspoon when I get this urge to snack. If you have any other recipes to use Chia Seeds, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you liked it Lorraine. I like it a spoon at a time too. I will be sure to let you know if I post any more recipes with Chia seeds.

    Thanks Lorraine

    ReplyDelete