The key to these delicious moist and dense muffins, is cottage cheese and protein powder. They are low glycemic, and are sweetened only with xylitol and applesauce. A perfect breakfast meal, or afternoon tea treat. I have loved having these on hand in the freezer.
High Protein Apple Sauce Muffins
Trim Healthy Mama (E)
1 1/2 cups Oat Bran
1 1/2 cups Oat flour, Sprouted Wheat Flour, or Quinoa flour (these flours are all lower glycemic flours, you could use any flour you like; 1 1/2 cups total). Read more about sprouted grains here
1/4 cup Protein Powder (plain or vanilla flavored)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
6 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Clove
1 Cup Xylitol or Sweetener of choice
2 1/2 Cups Cottage Cheese (skim: 1% or 2%) (If you like a higher rising muffin, you can use half cottage cheese and half non fat greek yogurt)
2 Cups Applesauce
4 tsp Vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients
- Pour into lined muffin tins
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Xylitol or Sweetner and a little cinnamon
Click here for other muffin recipes from March Madness Muffin Mania