Monday, March 17, 2014

Shepherd's Pie Trim Healthy Mama Style

This low-carb shepherd's pie is a variation of this shepherd's pie that I posted the other day.  In order to bring the carbs down on this yummy comfort food, the potatoes have to go… and so does the crust. Yes, this makes me very sad; but it still came out very good, so the enjoyment need not be lost even when trying to loose a little weight.  Here's how:  You can  make a big roast beef dinner one night, and use the left overs to make a shepherd's pie.  I did that very thing for this meal, and made mashed potatoes for Eddie, and mashed cauliflower for Steve and I, so I was ready to go.  

Ingredients:
1 Roast beef cooked until tender and shredded. 
Beef Gravy made from Roast drippings.  You will want enough gravy to make your shredded beef  loose and moist.  Expect to make 1-2 cups, depending on the size of  roast beef you have and the size of casserole you are making.  Note, you can use glucomannan or Xanthum gum for thickening your gravy if you like.  Even whole grain flour to thicken a gravy, has very little carb ratio per serving (approximately 3-4 grams per serving in this recipe), so it is up to you.
1 small white onion minced
Frozen Peas
Pre made Mashed Cauliflower.  This is made the same as mashed potatoes, except you use cauliflower instead potatoes
Cheddar Cheese

Instructions:
This recipe will is all put together without measurements: more just "how to's"
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Shred and mix roast  beef with gravy.  You will want enough for a large pie pan or casserole pan.
  3. Spread meat mixture over bottom of casserole pan.
  4. Sprinkle with minced onion, and optional peas.
  5. Top with mashed cauliflower.
  6. Sprinkle with cheese.
  7. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until mixture is bubble and cheese is well melted. 



Comfort food need not disappear from a skinny person in the making right?




Enjoy!

Click Here for other Trim Healthy Foods 

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I need to buy cauliflower. I thought I had some in my freezer yet, but I have done some digging and didn't come up with any. Can't wait to make this -- and the other version for the kids. Thanks again for sharing your recipes. You inspire me greatly! I'm off to bake for the kids' lunches shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love how you write and describe! You are my inspiration! This looks amazing even without the potatoes!

    I love you!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete