Summer time is a good time to make Vanilla Extract, because it gives you several months to let it soak and still be ready for Christmas. Some instructions will tell you that the extract can be ready to use in about two weeks, but letting it sit for several months makes a much better flavor.
Order good beans in bulk on line
You will need 20- 25 Vanilla beans per quart.
Slice each bean lengthwise.
The Vanilla Caviar is in the middle of the bean.
Scrape it out and put it in the quart jar.
Place the sliced beans in the jar.
Fill with Vodka (some people use Rum, but I believe the Vodka has no flavor at all, compared to the Rum, which apparently does… so you can do as you like, or do what is least expensive).
Shake the jar well, and then shake it up every few days, for the first few weeks, and store for 5-6 months. The Vanilla will start out looking almost clear, but 2-3 weeks later it will have turned a lovely
sheer Amber brown.
Pour into Amber Colored Jars, seal and label.
1 quart of Vodka (I go for the least expensive).
20 -25 good quality Vanilla Beans (order in bulk on line for the best deals)
1 quart jar
Amber Colored jars with lids
- Slice the Vanilla Beans lengthwise.
- Scrape the Vanilla Caviar out of each bean with a knife (the Caviar is the black paste inside the bean)
- Put the sliced beans and the Caviar into the quart jar.
- Pour Vodka over Vanilla Beans and Vanilla Bean Caviar and fill the jar to the top.
- Put a lid on the jar and store 1-6 months (the longer the better)
- For gifts, pour into Amber Colored Jars and seal.
- Label and enjoy.
Note: It is best not to skimp on the vanilla beans either in quality or quantity; if you try to economize by using less, you will end up with a weaker extract.