Friday, November 21, 2014

Eggplant Stuffing

This is a favorite recipe of ours that is inspired from one of Steve's Mom's recipes.
This is a stuffing, a dressing, a casserole or a delicious side dish. I have, made it for our Thanksgiving stuffing on many occasion and it was enthusiastically devoured by family and friends.  This recipe makes me think of my friend Barbara, who always enjoyed it when I made it at Thanksgiving meals in years gone by.  I was thinking of her the day I made this recipe for the blog, and she called me that night.  When I talked to her she said she had been sorting through her recipes and found my Eggplant dressing recipe. It just amazed me, because I hadn't made it for a long time, nor had it with her for years, but the day I was making it and thinking of her, she found the recipe and was thinking of me.  It is interesting how our lives intertwine, and memories are weaved.. quite often around the table.

This recipe is a great way to eat eggplant when you have an abundance of it.  I have sometimes added chicken to it, and then I have a main dish. I grew quite a bumper crop of Eggplant in the garden this year, and so I have made this several times already.  But with Thanksgiving around the corner, I wanted to post it as a yummy "Stuffing" option… if anyone was looking for a little inspiration.

Peel, cube and boil 2 medium eggplant until tender (Its a good idea to soak your eggplant in a little salt water for 20-30 minutes before cooking, to remove any bitterness).


Drain and set aside.


Finely chop green peppers, onion and celery and place into a large skillet where you have melted 1/3 cup of butter.


Saute vegetables in butter until tender.


Add dry bread cubes or bread crumbs.  Stir and sauté until just lightly beginning to brown.


Add Eggplant and mix thoroughly.


Add 2 beaten eggs and pimentos and stir thoroughly.



Stir half the cheese into the mixture and add the milk.  Stir well.



Put all into a casserole dish.



Top with cheese.

I always seem to add more cheese than the recipe calls for.

Bake in a preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes.

Eggplant Stuffing
Ingredients:
2 mecium sized Eggplant
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped green peppers (optional)
1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
3 Tbsp. pimiento (1small jar)
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 pound dried bread cubes or crumbs
3/4 cup evaporated milk or half and half
2 eggs beaten
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 c. grated cheese (divided in half).

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1.   Peel, cube and boil eggplant until tender.
2.   Saute onions, peppers and celery in butter. 
3.   Add cubed bread to onions and sauté until just beginning to brown.
4.   Drain eggplant well, and add to sautéed vegetables.
5.   Allow mixture to cool about 10 minutes.
6.   Pour beaten eggs over mixture and stir until well combined.
7.  Add Pimentos half the cheese and mix well.
8.   Pour and mix in milk. Stir until well combined.
9.   Place in a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
    Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and Bake another 10-15 minutes uncovered (until cheese is melted).



5 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious. :) I may have to try it sometime. You can never go wrong with MORE cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love eggplant, and I have never thought of using it as a stuffing!
    I do have a casserole that my Mother always made. I think you have inspired me again! Now your talking Turkey my friend! Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting and it looks amazing! My sister enjoys eggplant so I am thinking maybe I should make this for her on Thanksgiving Day :)

    Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have never seen an eggplant stuffing before looks good! ~thanks for sharing Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Pam, I don't even like eggplant, but this looks delicious ;-)

    It's your pictures! They are mouthwatering, like I said.

    Loved your comment today. You are so sweet. Soaking up the ordinary. We are full of that - haha!

    Btw, your tea cozies are so adorable. They look like cute little bonnets :-)

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete