Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Clothespin Airplane Party Favors


This Valentines Day, boys are in the majority for  us.  We have 5 Grandsons; but only one little grand-daughter … all of whom I like to mail Valentines to. On top of that, we are having a Valentine party on  Friday which will include 7 boys (My little Grandson Winston included), and no girls (not counting the Mama's and Grandma's of course).  All this has had me on the hunt for Valentine ideas for boys.  I was inspired by several pins on Pinterest that I found, and played a little with clothespins and wooden ice-cream sticks to make  these Clothespin Airplane party favors.  They came out pretty cute, so, of course I wanted to share them with you.













Materials:

  1. Wooden Clothespins
  2. Mini popsicle sticks  for the tail wing and rudder (you will cut both ends off some of your mini popsicle sticks, for a tail rudder for each plane)
  3. Medium/small ice cream sticks or medium sized popsicle sticks (I used the ice cream sticks) for the wings
  4. Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  5. Magnets
  6. Spray paint and/or craft paint


Steps:

  1. Drop a dab of hot glue on the top of a clothes pin.


2. Place an ice-cream stick on top of the glue to create a top wing; press together firmly.





3. Place another dab of glue on the bottom side of the clothespin under and parallel to the first.





4. Place a dab of glue on the tail and glue a mini popsicle stick for the tail.


5.  Cut the ends of some of the mini popsicle sticks for tail rudders. Steve cut these for me with a hacksaw.  He put 5 together at a time, and put them in a vice and sawed them off (another alternative: use pliers to hold them and then saw them one at a time).



6.   Put a dab of hot glue on the bottom of the tail rudder piece.


7.  Glue the rudder to the tail.


Nows its time for the paint...

but I will say that, these are so cute even without the paint, that you could leave them natural, and they would be awesome.




8.  Create a protected environment to spray paint….


9.  Place a stick in the mouth of the clothespin to give yourself a handle while painting.


10.  Spray paint both sides of the plane (or paint with acrylic craft paint and a brush, and let the kids paint them.)


Decorate with an alternate paint color if you desire; Steve did all the painting for me; I think he had a great time doing it; there is a kid in all of us don't you think.    He also loved thinking about each of his Grandkids while he painted them.

Glue a magnet to the bottom.






These can be used to make party favors as is, or added to a Magnetic Greeting Card, for a cute decoration on the card.  Click here for the instructions. 
















Have fun!

16 comments:

  1. Dear Pam this is so very cute! The boys are going to love them! You are so talented. I hope I get one...
    You have been busy, save some strength for our PARTY
    Let's get this party started...
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative way to use the popsicle sticks and ice cream spoons! Great idea!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate the comments Rox, and Onellyantie Chua. It really was a fun craft to make, and the kids loved it.
    Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, you are so wonderfully talented! These are so cute!! I would have never figured out how to make the cards magnetic until I scrolled down. I hope I get to be as awesome a gramma as you someday!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Since Facebook is notorious for not letting page owners know when I tag them, I thought I would stop by myself and let you know I featured this post and my readers loved it! https://www.facebook.com/CraftsbyAmanda/photos/a.353593675216.349539.323548680216/10153855207970217/?type=1&stream_ref=10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I'm just now getting back on my blog and checking up on comments... It doesn't look like I had replied to this one... so thank you so much. I sure appreciate the link, and hope everyone has enjoyed the craft.

      Delete
  6. Making your own party favors like this can be really awesome for any type of party. I think that having things like this can make things a lot more fun for everybody involved. I know that all of my friends and family would love stuff like this.
    http://www.artisticscreens.com/party_favors.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackson, thank you for stopping by; I have been away from my blog for a while, but wanted to thank you for stopping by, and hope you enjoyed the craft.

      Delete
  7. This is so adorable and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, baskbiz. It is definitely a fun one. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Hey!! Such a lovely airplane party theme. Your plane idea is great. Will surely have these lovely little handmade planes for my cousin’s birthday at Chicago venues. Have been looking for more awesome ideas for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Mackyton, they are a fun little project, Have fun making them for your cousins birthday.

      Delete
  9. You can cut the popsicle sticks using large scissors or kitchen scissors.

    ReplyDelete