I got this recipe years ago from a Country Living Magazine… 1989 to be exact. I have the recipe cut out and put into my recipe organizer. I couldn't resist these heart shaped, cherry filled, scones. They are perfect for Valentines day, but of course you could make them anytime and not be sorry. I have tweaked the recipe a tiny bit for a slightly healthier variation… although when it comes to biscuits or scones for special occasions, I do like to use white flour, so these are merely adjusted by using organic, ingredients. Enjoy the recipe, and have a nice Valentines Day with the special Sweethearts in your life.
Mix together dry ingredients.
Cut butter, into the flour until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk to make a lightly sticky dough.
Roll out onto a floured surface. Pat or roll dough so it is about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out hearts.
Use a spoon to press an indentation into each scone.
Lay half of the hearts onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
Fill with Cherry Jam.
Wet the insides of the remaining hearts.
Place onto a jam filled scone base.
Press the seams of the scones together.
Bake at 425 degrees 15 -18 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool and Drizzle with icing.
Valentine Cherry Scones
4 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon real salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk
low/no sugar cherry jam, preserves or pie filling
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into pieces, and then add to dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients, until mixture is crumbly and butter is evenly distributed.
- Add buttermilk to dry ingredients, stirring gently until mixed; add enough buttermilk to create a slightly sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle dough lightly with flour and roll or pat until the dough is 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut an equal amount of hearts.
- Place half of the hearts onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Use a spoon to press an indentation into each scone, to make room for the jam.
- Put a spoonful of jam into each scone.
- Moisten the inside of each scone top with water.
- Place each scone top onto each jam filled base.
- Press sides together to seal.
- Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Drizzle with icing.
1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoons almond, cherry or vanilla extract
natural coloring; I used cherry juice and made a violet color, and dried strawberry powder and made a light pink and dark pink color.
Mix ingredients together… adjusting milk and colors to desired consistency and color.