This has been one of my favorite muffins, probably because Eggplant Parmigiana is one of my favorite Italian dishes. This little meal in a muffin is handy to have on hand for my Trim Healthy Mama eating, it is quick and easy to make, it doesn't have any frying or grease to deal with, is very low carb… and did I mention that it is delicious. We kept eating and eating these muffins.
Peel and slice the Eggplant.
Soak the Eggplant in salted water (about 2 tablespoons in 3- 4 quarts water) for 20 -30 minutes, to remove any bitterness that an Eggplant sometimes has.
Spray the muffin cups with cooking spray and put a teaspoon of Parmesan in the bottom of each.
Put a slice of Eggplant in each.
Sprinkle with Parmesan.
End with Mozzerella and then top with egg mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until muffins are puffy and browned lightly on the top.
Serve with spaghetti and marinara sauce.
Eggplant Parmesan: Meal in a Muffin
2 cups mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter
- Peel and slice and soak one eggplant in salted water.
- Spray the bottom of a large cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the bottom of each muffin cup with a teaspoon of parmesan cheese.
- Add a slice of eggplant (trim each slice to fit in the muffin cup).
- Sprinkle another teaspoon of parmesan and a little mozzarella over each eggplant slice.
- Repeat layers until all is full, ending with mozzarella.
- Melt better.
- Whisk together eggs and melted butter.
- Pour egg mixture evenly into each muffin cup. Push the eggplant and cheese down a little to mix the egg mixture evenly through the layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes; or until muffins are puffy and lightly brown.
- Serve with pasta and marinara sauce.
Makes 6 large muffins