These Spaghetti Pie Muffins are an adaptation of my recipe for "Spaghetti Pie" the casserole. They are just delicious. You can, of course, make this recipe in a 9x13 casserole pan, but making them into muffins is a fun variation that is also a wonderful way to have ready made meals in the freezer. They can be warmed up in a jiffy when someone gets home hungry and needs a snack or a dinner. Try making a double of this recipe; putting one into a casserole dish for dinner, and the rest into muffin pans for meals ready to eat. If you are doing the THM diet or watching your carbs or glycemic levels, you can use "Dreamfields" pasta (which is what I did for these), and enjoy them as an S meal or low-carb meal. They are a handy ready to go serving. Just dish them up with a salad and Bon Appetite. If you like this recipe, here are two more muffin meals to enjoy: Shepherd's Pie Muffin Meal and Eggplant Parmigiana Muffin Meal.
Begin by browning 1 lb of lean meat in olive oil. Add seasonings to the meat; (I made mine like I do for the homemade sausage.
Stir, brown and add 1 can of tomato sauce.
While the sauce is cooking, prepare your spaghetti crust by stirring 1/4 cup of butter into 4 cups of pre-cooked spaghetti noodles.
In a measuring bowl, put 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and 2 eggs.
Whisk together well, and add to the spaghetti mixture. Mix all together.
Divide spaghetti mixture into 12 muffin cups. Form them into little nests, with the spaghetti coming up the sides of the muffin cups.
Next mix together 3/4 of a cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 a cup of parmesan cheese.
Spread this mixture over the spaghetti nests.
Once Spaghetti sauce is done, spoon evenly into the nests.
Top with Mozzerella Cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
Garnish and serve.
Makes 12 large muffins.
Spaghetti Pie Muffins
For the Crust:
4 cups cooked whole wheat spaghetti (For Trim Healthy Mama use Dreamfields)
1/3 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together spaghetti and butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into into spaghetti and butter mixture and mix well.
- Spray 2 large muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Divide spaghetti mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Press spaghetti to form a little nest in each muffin cup.
For the filling
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Mix together both cheeses
- spread over inside of spaghetti nests.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pounds lean hamburger or sausage
1/2 tsp crushed dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder or granules
1/2 tsp onion powder or ganules
1/2 tsp red pepper seeds
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Pour olive oil into pan, add meat and seasonings and brown. (with a very lean meat, there is nothing to drain… if you do have excess fat, go ahead and drain after it is browned).
- Add tomato sauce.
- Stir and simmer 10 minutes
- Spoon evenly over spaghetti nests
- Top each with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.
Click here for other muffin recipes