Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Basic Crepe Recipe

When I gave birth to my first child, my Mom came to help.  One of the things she did when she came to stay on that occasion is  something  that I remember to this very day;  she made me up a batch of chocolate filled crepes and brought them into the hospital for me.  What a treat it was.  I think of my Mom whenever I make crepes.. which is part of the reason I wanted to make a Chicken Crepe recipe this week for Mother's Day.

When I am making a recipe using Crepes, I like to make the Crepes a day or two ahead, which makes everything easier when I am putting my meal together.  These store nicely in the refrigerator, and are wonderful to use for savory as well as sweet meals.


Basic Crepes
Ingredients:  1 cup milk, 3 eggs, and 2/3 cup flour. 



Put the ingredients into a blender, beginning with milk and eggs...and flour last;  This keeps the flour from glumping up in the bottom of the blender.


Heat a crepe or omelet  pan on medium-low heat.  Add a little butter and spread it liberally in the pan.


Pour in 1/4 a cup of batter into pan.



Rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan.


Cook until the edges of the crepe begin to lift from the sides; about 1 minute.  Turn and cook another 20 - 30 seconds on the other side.


I usually triple this recipe to have enough for all of us.


Stack them up until all are cooked.  Once finished, they can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator in a ziplock until ready to use.






 For every day meals, I use whole wheat flour and for company or something special I use white  flour to make these. In this picture is the whole wheat version... you can see, they look really nice, and they make a wonderful crepe.  I use White wheat whole wheat flour.  It grinds into a wonderful, soft flour, and is usually my whole wheat flour choice.  The whole wheat version is slightly more prone to cracking, so if you make them using whole wheat flour, be sure to cook them minimally before flipping them.  They do turn out wonderful even with whole wheat flour, so don't be shy about trying them like this.


Roll or fold them up with a filling










or top  with fruit, whipped cream, and/or a sprinkling of powdered sugar…. 





Basic Crepe Recipe

Successful Crepes are an easy accomplishment when you take your time and complete your steps slowly.  Use a medium low heat.  Also, I use a measuring cup to measure out 1/4 cup for each crepe. Measuring out each crepe helps me make a consistent batch of nice looking crepes; when I guess instead of measuring for each one, my crepes always come out in a variety of sizes and shapes.  Also, I usually double or triple this recipe, because they get eaten quickly, and since I'm cooking them up, I might as well make enough to satisfy.  This recipe make about 6-8 crepes.

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
3 eggs
2/3 cup flour (white or whole wheat both work great)

Instructions:

1.   Place all ingredients into a blender beginning with milk, then eggs, then flour 
2.   Blend  the ingredients until thoroughly blended.
3.   Place 1/2 tsp of butter into a crepe or omelet pan.
4.   Heat pan on medium low heat.  
5.   Once the butter is melted, use a spatula to rub it evenly into the pores of the pan.  This creates a nice     non-stick surface of a non-teflon pan.
6.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the pan.
7.  Rotate the pan to spread the batter into an even circle around the pan.
8.  Cook for about 1 minute, or until edges come loose and begin to lift.
9.  Flip crepe and cook 20- 30 seconds on the other side.
10.  Stack until all are cooked.
11.  Store for several days in a ziplock in the refrigerator.
Makes 6-8 crepes

Here are some Crepe Recipes to try with these crepes:
Chicken Crepes
Lemon Crepe Cake


























Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon Pam!

    Oh boy... these look so
    yummy-licious! We make crepes a lot around here. And, Clayton cooks most of them. That was one of the first recipes I taught him to make. And, he is now really good at getting them flipped without ruining them! :) We make ours with maple yogurt and granola... I like that these have the jam in them.

    Hmmm.... We might have to have these for breakfast tomorrow.

    Great idea... Thanks Pam!

    I hope you are doing better and have gotten outside to enjoy some of this warm weather.... I have been watering and weeding... It's now windy, so I'm catching up on my blogging. Busy... Busy!

    Have a great day!

    Much Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious, must admit I have never made crepes. Something I will be doing very soon.

    They make me think of spring with the strawberries on them. We are finally having a lovely spring day here after cool rainy weather.

    Joyfully,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Pam, These look like a work of art! I can just see the glee in your eyes when your Momma brought them to you after giving birth...
    No wonder they come to mind every Mothers Day ;o)
    I want to thank you for joining the Link Up Party. Your work and post are so very lovely and I think so many will realize what wonderful recipes you have on your blog!
    I look forward to seeing what you will bring to the table next week!!
    Happy Mothers Day to YOU
    Blessings Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please...heading on over to your house right now...okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot of your recipes but nowhere know where can I find a print button. Can someone help me I hate copying and pasting everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, sorry I don't have a print button on this blog; something I need to update, just haven't gotten an app figured out to do it at this point, but it is on my list for one of these days.

    ReplyDelete