As I mentioned in my last post, I have been working on my Chicken Crepe Recipe. This is a favorite of my Mom's and mine. It is delicious and would be a wonderful Mother's Day treat… but Mom isn't the only one who will think it is delicious. Chunks of chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce with onions and peas and a hint of Rosemary then topped with a delicious Mornay Sauce (Cheese Sauce): this is satisfying comfort food that everyone will love. Steve and Eddie both love this meal.
Gather your ingredients and chop your veggies. I like to measure out all of my ingredients and have them ready in bowls; then I can put the meal together easily. For this recipe, I start by cooking up a chicken a day or two ahead, as well as make the crepes a day or two ahead. You will want two batches of crepes (or about 12).
Chop 1 small onion….
and 1/3 of a pound of fresh mushrooms.
Cook a chicken ahead and prepare 2 cups of chopped meat.
Measure out 1/2 of a 10 oz bag of frozen peas,
add 1/3 of a cup of Parmesan Cheese.
Crush 1/2 of a teaspoon of Rosemary leaves.
Saute chopped onion
and chopped mushrooms in 1/2 of the butter, sauté lightly and then add the remaining butter.
Add 3 Tablespoons of whole wheat flour.
Mix into the onion and mushroom mixture.
Add the Half and Half and the Chicken broth..
and stir well.
Now for the 2 cups of chicken.
and 1/3 cup of Parmesan Cheese
Stir together well.
Add the peas.
and stir some more; then finally, add the Rosemary and salt and pepper and give it a final stir.
Place 2-3 Tablespoons of the chicken filling on a crepe and roll the crepe over the top and
Roll it up.
Place in a 9X13 inch casserole pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Now to make the sauce.
On Medium low heat, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and add flour.
Whisk flour into butter.
Add milk and cream and whisk as you pour.
and stir in until all is melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the top.
Pour it on thick.
Top with fresh chopped green onions.
And a little extra cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees until bubbly and beginning to brown.
Serve it up and enjoy!
2 batches of this Crepe Recipe.
5 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 of a pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup half and half
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 of a 10 oz bag of frozen peas
1/2 tsp Rosemary crushed
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place half of the butter into a large skillet and melt.
- Add onion and mushrooms; sauté until tender.
- Add remaining butter and allow to melt.
- Add flour to pan; stir and mix in completely.
- Add chicken broth and cream; stir well as you pour to blend thoroughly.
- Add chicken, Parmesan Cheese and peas; stir well.
- Add Rosemary and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Fill 10 to 12 crepes with the filling.
- Roll and place seam side down into a prepared casserole pan.
- Cover with sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and browning on top.
This sauce is basically a Mornay or white sauce with a little extra cheese…but it doesn't sound quite as good to simply call it "Cheese Sauce"; so, it is Mornay sauce. :) You will love this sauce on anything from pasta (now you have macaroni and cheese), to broccoli, cauliflower or even poached eggs. Slather it on whatever sounds good and enjoy.
3 Tablespoons of butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup half and half
2 1/2 cups Montery Jack, Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
3-4 Green onions chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Begin your sauce by making a roux in a good sized skillet; Melt butter, and whisk in flour.
2. Slowly add milk and half and half, mixing constantly with your whisk.
3. The sauce will bubble and thicken as you add the milk. Now add the cheese; continue stirring.
4. Pour over crepes.
5 Sprinkle with green onions.