Luke's been in Portland for a while now, going to culinary school. He and I love to compare notes on cooking, and often make each other hungry with our ideas. He has had blackberries in huge abundance accessible to him, and comes up with plenty of tempting ideas that he tells me about. So now I have been having blackberry cravings; now mind you we don't have blackberries growing wild on every road here like they do in Oregon, so we have to go buy them and pay a pretty penny for them; thus, they are quite the treat for us. I had really wanted to make a cobbler with them, but I ran out of time to do that, and needed to use them up, so I ended up making a delicious Whole Wheat German Pancake with Coconut Syrup and Blackberries. It really turned out good, and only took 5 minutes to put together. I was inspired by The Vintage Mixer 's recipe. It was very simple, and delicious. It worked perfectly with whole wheat flour (I actually used whole spelt flour). I did add a little more butter to the recipe, but other than that, I did it just as she instructed. I believe one of the tricks to this recipe, is the 450 degree oven, which causes it to rise nice and high, and not remain too thick of a pancake, which I have had happen with other whole wheat German Pancake recipes. Also, having a cast iron skillet gives a nice brown bottom, which I loved. This is a wonderfully quick, easy, healthy breakfast and it is a great change of pace from cereal or eggs.
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup Whole Spelt or Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Milk
Pinch of salt
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees.
- Put 2 Tablespoons of butter into an 8-9 inch cast iron skillet and place in oven to melt butter.
- Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk or mix together until thoroughly blended.
- Remove pan from oven and swirl butter to cover entire bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into pan spreading evenly over entire base of the pan.
- Put into oven and bake for 15 - 18 minutes. It should be puffy and slightly golden brown.
- The parts that have risen up high, will deflate a minute or two after it is removed from the oven.
- Top with butter, syrup, powdered sugar and fruit.