There isn't really such thing as Calico Pie, (Until now… at least I don't think) but I got it into my head to call this pie "Calico Pie", because of the color and variety of the chopped veggies in it. For some reason that makes me think of Calico. Actually there is a children's "Nonsense Rhyme" called "Calico Pie" by Edward Lear, if that counts. But I suppose I am just speaking a little "nonsense" myself when I could just go ahead and give you a yummy recipe for "Calico Pie"; which is really nothing more than a beef and potato pie with a few extra veggies added. This is a "Man Satisfying" Pie. Loaded with ground beef, potatoes, gravy, mushrooms, beets, onions and peas. It is delicious. I made it for Luke this week, to satisfy his hunger after a back packing trip that he took. Beef, potatoes, pie crust….mmmmmm such happiness.
Peel and dice potatoes, beets, carrots and onions. Mince garlic and parsley and slice and chop mushrooms.
Place together in a large skillet along with ground beef.
Saute until vegetables are beginning to get tender, and meat is cooked (I use a lean grass fed beef, so there is very little fat that cooks off of this beef. If you want to precook the beef, and drain the fat off before adding the vegetables, you could do it that way as well.)
Stir until evenly blended.
Pour in Beef broth and stir until well combined.
Stir and cook until a thickened gravy is achieved, then remove from heat.
Add peas and mix together.
Pour into a pie shell.
Place a pie shell topping over the top, and bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy. It really is delicious.
2 double crust pie crusts, or the equivalent Puff Pastry sheets.
2 lbs ground beef
3 potatoes peeled and diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1 small beet, peeled and diced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh peas.
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups beef broth
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Prepare vegetables and set aside as follows:
- Peel and dice potatoes, carrots, beet and onion.
- Mince garlic and parsley
- Chop mushrooms
- Measure peas.
- Put ground beef, and all the herbs, and vegetables into the skillet, and brown on medium high heat.
- Dust and mix flour into vegetables.
- Slowly stir and add beef broth.
- Mix gently and cook until broth has thickened into a gravy.
- Pour into a prepared Pie shell.
- Place top crust over filling and pinch sides together
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes
- It might be necessary to cover the crust with foil. I cook this for about 15 minute, and then place a foil cover over it to keep the edges from becoming too dark. You can remove the foil the last 5 or ten minutes as well, and allow it to crisp up a little.
- Cool about 10 minutes and serve.
- This recipe makes two pies, or one nice sized pie, and 6 muffin sized pies.
Coming Soon: March Madness Muffin Mania Marathon Month. Stay Tuned!