I get to craving Pumpkin Scones this time of year... perhaps because certain coffee establishments promote them, and get them into my head; but also it is that "Pumpkin time of year". These are a moist, lightly sweet scone, made with half whole wheat flour and half white flour, and are enhanced with the addition of Cinnamon and Clove Essential Oils, which really do give them a wonderful pop of flavor. In addition to tea time, I love them for breakfast, with tea or coffee, served with butter, honey, or apple butter. We made these for our Fall Tea Party: They were a special request from my Grandson Elon, and were greatly enjoyed by all.
1 cups Organic All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I like to slice it into thin pieces before I add it to the mix.
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (1/2 of a small can).
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
10 drops cinnamon essential oil
4 drops clove essential oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Icing:
11/4 cup organic powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cream or milk
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1-2 drops cinnamon essential oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter, or use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until well distributed and resembling course crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, measure together pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg. Essential oils, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Scoop dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly with additional flour until dough is is no longer sticky.
- Pat into 1 a large round wheel (or two small ones will work fine as well): as pictured above. Slice into 8 triangles, and place onto baking sheet.Place scones.
- Place into oven and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar and milk, cinnamon, cinnamon essential oils and vanilla extract.
- Whisk until smooth.
- When the scones are done, cool for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle each scone with the icing.