Friday, September 25, 2009

Zucchini Relish


























This is a favorite recipe I have made often since the 1980's.  It is a sweet relish, that reminds me of bread and butter pickles in relish form.  I love this relish on hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken or tuna sandwiches, and my own personal favorite: cheese sandwiches.  

Zucchini Relish
Ingredients:
10 cups chopped zucchini
4 large onions - chopped
4 large green peppers - chopped
4 large red peppers - chopped
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
4 cups sugar
4 Tbs Kosher salt
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dill weed 
1/4 tsp pepper

Instructions:
Bring all ingredient to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head-space. Process in boiling water bath about 15 minutes;
add one minute of processing time for every thousand feet above sea level.
Makes 7 pints

When I made Zucchini relish this year, I had everything I needed in the garden, with the exception of the sugar, salt and a couple of spices. That made it a nice way to use up those green peppers as well.


2 comments:

  1. Mom, I love the pictures! And this sounds delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Jon would love this recipe! It sounds so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete