Friday, October 23, 2009

"Where's the Cozy?" continued...



The dictionary defines the word cozy as follows: 1. enjoying or affording comforting warmth and shelter especially in a small place. 2. to make oneself snug, comfortable and warm; marked by friendly intimacy.

My girls and I have our own definition of the word "cozy" and it  has become one of our own personal family words, and has often been a part of our everyday vocabulary.  I wonder why?   The answer I think lies in the meaning that we have attributed to it, and how we feel about its meaning.

Family definition: 1).  A happy, safe situation  which delights the heart with a sense of peace and comfort. 2).  To be warm and snug and in the company of  those whom you love, or with a good book in which you delight, often with a fine cup of something warm to drink, such as tea, cocoa or coffee. 3).  A general feeling of contentment derived from a certain atmosphere of quiet joy and beauty;  generally sustained by a crackling fire, a warm bed, or a soft seat,  a good book, something baking in the oven ; especially on (but not restricted to) a cold night, in the presence of a warm cat, or dog. 4).  A quaint tea party of loved ones with no outside factors to hinder or interrupt a delightful and sometimes long awaited chat. 5). A delightful snuggle with the love of your life in a warm bed watching a favorite movie followed by a snack that delights the heart; or as Pooh himself would say; "a little smackeral of something". 6).  A snowy morning, still dressed in pajamas, surrounded by the children/grandchildren in whom you love.

Synonyms:
Love, joy, peace, contentment, good books, crackling fire, cups of hot tea, warm cinnamon rolls, soft blankets, good friends, babies in jamies, cushie slippers, cinnamon toast, purring kitties, flannel shirts, pumpkin pie; any pie, hot buns with butter and honey, warm milk, hot bowls of soup, chili or stew, eaten by candlelight, accompanied by warm cornbread, or biscuits, peaceful music 


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Mom! I never put it all together like that! Yes, we have derived our own "Cozy" and I am so thankful you showed us Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved "cozy" and it is present every time I visit your home Pam. You define it beautifully! It is something I've been trying to "reach" in my own new home. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your, "you might also enjoy" widget! I always click on them and am never disappointed!
    This is one of my top favorite posts! Love your definition! Love the warm "cozy" picture you paint.

    ReplyDelete