Thursday, May 30, 2013

Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes

Did you ever like  those "Hostess" Cupcake or a Hostess Ding Dongs; I used to be a Ding Dong Junkie...  I try to behave myself these days, but  I do get that craving now and then; thus these cupcakes.  For this recipe I used wholesome ingredients, which makes them a healthier treat than Hostess would make.  In addition to whole grain flour, I used coconut flour and coconut oil in the ingredients, so they  have a chocolate, coconut flavor, and everyone around here likes that, but you could exchange the coconut oil and flour for regular oil, and flour (or almond flour) for a non coconut variation.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes

Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter,  softened
1/2 cup organic unbleached powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cupcake
2 1/2 cups whole wheat or whole grain flour
1/2 cup coconut flour (or almond flour)
2 cups organic, unbleached sugar,  sucanat or turbinado sugar
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2/3 cup coconut oil or palm shortening
2 cups hot water
Mini Chocolate Chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare cupcake pans with papers and/or non-stick spray.  This recipe makes about 18 standard sized cupcakes.
Combine ingredients for  the filling and mix with a mixer until well mixed,  and creamy.  It will be thick.  Set aside.



For Cupcakes, combine dry ingredients.

 And whisk together until well combined.


Heat water in kettle and pour into glass measuring bowl.  Add coconut oil or palm shortening.



Stir until oil is melted.  Then add vinegar and vanilla.  Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until blended, then mix with mixer until well mixed.



 Spoon the batter into cupcake tins filling them half way.


 Add a dollop of the filling.  
(For my second round, I had more filling than I thought I would, so I  put generous dollops
into each; it was very good...  "the more the merrier").
 Now add another dollop of cake batter over the filling (about a heaping tablespoon).



 Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes until cake is done.


 While still hot, sprinkle a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on top, allowing them to
melt slightly and adhere,


 ...or let set for a minute or two, then spread chocolate over the top as an icing.



    Lay it on thin or thick however you like; or don't spread it around at all;   I had a variety when I was done, including chocolate frosted, chocolate chipped, frosted with leftover filling and unfrosted.


Not necessarily beautiful, but beautifully delicious and wholesome.



To me the creamy center is the best part of this cupcake, tasting a little like cheesecake and cupcake combined.



Dense, moist and creamy.


     Unfrosted, with an extra portion of cream cheese dolloped inside...  No complaints  around here in regards to that.  


Enjoy


5 comments:

  1. They are so cute and delicious! The more filling the merrier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hereby declare this blog post the yummiest one of all!
    Your photos were perfect and I am hungry to try one of those real food treats.... Amazing
    Blessings, Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW mom! These look so wonderful, I am so sad I can't eat them right now! I love your how to instructions and pictures! I want to try these soon! I also really like how you melted the chocolate chips on the tops of the hot cupcakes, it gives me a great idea I have for some cookies I want to make!

    Thanks so much for your wonderful inspiration you fill me with!
    LOVE you
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh Yum! Oh my.... These sounds so scrumptious! I think we need to make these for next tea party!!
    Have a great weekend Pam!
    Love ya,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE ding dongs!! Which is why I never ever buy them anymore....cause I would eat them all! haha!

    Yours look beautiful and delicious. Melt in your mouth yummy~

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete