Thursday, January 29, 2015

Root Vegetable Hash

I've been enjoying my root vegetables.  They are delicious, satisfying, and full of vitamins and minerals, (especially iron, beta-carotene/vitamin A and vitamin C). They satisfy that winter comfort food craving that I often get.  This dish is a simple preparation of diced root vegetables stir fried together in Olive oil. 


It is as simple as pulling together any of your favorite root vegetables; such as potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips, onions, garlic, any that you like.  Pre-cook all but the garlic and onions, by boiling them in a pot of water with skins on.  Pull them out when they are just beginning to get tender, but are still slightly under cooked.


Cool until you are able to handle them comfortably, peel them and dice them up.


Place them into a hot pan drizzled with olive oil.  I like to brown the onions first, add the garlic, and then the vegetables.  Leave the vegetables unstirred to cook and brown for a couple of minutes, then stir all together getting a good brown on them.  Add salt and pepper to taste. You could also bake them instead of frying them if you desired.

Dish them up and sprinkle generously with chives or green onions.


Serve as a side dish for dinner….


Or top with an egg and serve for breakfast. 


Root Vegetable Hash


Ingredients:
4-6 root vegetables of choice, including onions, and garlic.
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onions
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1.  Pre-cook all but the garlic and onions, by boiling them in a pot of water with skins on.  
  2.  Pull them out when they are just beginning to get tender, but are still slightly under cooked.
  3.  Cool until you are able to handle them comfortably; peel them and dice them up.
  4.  Place them into a hot pan drizzled with olive oil.  I like to brown the onions first, add the garlic, and then the vegetables.  Leave the vegetables unstirred to cook and brown for a couple of minutes, then stir all together getting a good brown on them.  
  5. Add alt and pepper to taste. 
  6. Dish them up and sprinkle generously with chives or green onions.
  7. Serve them as a side dish, or serve them with eggs for breakfast.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Oh yum I love love love root vegetables! I have never cooked them like this will have to try. I have a spiralizer and love to turn them into noodles :) thanks for sharing Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pam, This is so hearty and is perfect for these cold days we are having! It looks like a work of art!
    Colorful and surely good for you!
    I will be preparing this very soon my friend!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...does this ever look good. I never would of thought to put beets in with other root veggies. It looks so colorful and I bet the house just smelled delicious.

    I hope you are doing well. I sure do miss you.

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm Mmm Mmmmm!!! You got me hungry! I am now scratching my head trying to remember how many potatoes I have and kicking myself for not getting those beets at the market today!! Want to recreate this exact recipe for breakfast tomorrow!!

    I LOVE your gorgeous photos too!
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...that really looks good. I do that with potatoes, celery, carrots and onions. Love the addition of the egg! Great idea!!

    Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this for lunch...with the egg! Absolutely AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Reena..I loved it with the egg too. Thanks for posting about.

    ReplyDelete