Saturday, May 4, 2019

Buttermilk Pie



Tangy, creamy, vanilla, custard, goodness, baked in a pie crust.... you'll have a hard time eating only a little of this pie... it is just delicious.



Have you ever made a Buttermilk Pie?  When Steve and I were first married,  an old friend of the family asked if I had ever made one. I had never even heard of Buttermilk Pie, So, no I had never made one. We had a brief conversation about my limited education of good old fashioned food, and home cooking, haha. A few days later, this family friend brought me over a sweet gift bag, and one of the gifts in the bag was a cookbook that had a recipe for Buttermilk Pie in it. I quickly updated my education, and learned to make it, ha ha; and I wasn't disappointed. I think Pie is my favorite dessert, and I am especially weak when it comes to custard or pudding pies. This one is a slightly tangy, vanilla, custard pie; it is so creamy and comforting, that you might find it addictive.  I haven't made one in quite a few years, but was reminded of it (and that long ago conversation), the other day, when we were at Cracker Barrel. They were featuring none other than "Buttermilk Pie" as one of their specials. I decided that it was time to bring out that  cookbook, and make up a Buttermilk Pie for Steve this week, and why not post it here while I was at it?



Ingredients:
1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
1 1/2 cups organic, non-GMO, unbleached, sugar, or organic           coconut sugar
3 tablespoons organic, unbleached, all purpose flour 
1/2 cup butter melted (and cooled)
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
teaspoon vanilla

Instructions: 
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2.  In a medium sized mixing bowl, add together sugar, flour,  and stir together.
  3.  Stir in melted butter.
  4.  Add eggs. Whisk together with the sugar mixture.
  5.  Add buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk until well blended
  6.  Pour the mixture into the unbaked, prepared pie crust.
  7.  Place  pie onto a cookie sheet, and into the oven.
  8.  Bake 45 - 55 minutes, until golden brown, and slightly firm (it  may still be  bit jiggly, but it won't  be loose).
  9.  Cool, then chill.
  10.  Serve cold.

Pour the buttermilk mixture into  an  unbaked, prepared pie crust.




Bake 45-55 minutes, or until lightly golden.




Cool, and then chill in the refrigerator.



Slice and serve cold. It is so delicious!




Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment