Okay, a pie and a muffin all at once… that is a double yummy right? I made these little Beef Pies when I was making the Calico Pie that I posted a few days ago. This is the same recipe made in a Muffin Tin this time. I love the Muffin Tin meals, because they make wonderful "Grab and Go Meals". The self contained servings work wonderful in packed lunches and picnics; Luke and I enjoyed these in the car on Sunday. They were easy to grab and pack, and easy to eat on the run.
First step, prepare enough pie dough for two double crusts pies.
You can use a puff pastry, or a favorite pie crust recipe. Here's the link to my favorite pie crust recipe.
Cut out circles with a drinking glass or biscuit cutter.
Place each circle into a muffin tin. Shape and set to the side.
Peel and dice potatoes, beets, carrots and onions. Mince garlic and parsley and slice and chop mushrooms.
Place together in a large skillet along with ground beef.
Saute until vegetables are beginning to get tender, and meat is cooked (I use a lean grass fed beef, so there is very little fat that cooks off of this beef. If you want to precook the beef, and drain the fat off before adding the vegetables, you could do it that way as well.)
Stir until evenly blended.
Pour in Beef broth and stir until well combined.
Stir and cook until a thickened gravy is achieved, then remove from heat.
Add peas and mix together. Spoon into the little pie shells.
Place a pie shell topping over the top, and bake at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
2 double crust pie crusts, or the equivalent Puff Pastry sheets.
2 lbs ground beef
3 potatoes peeled and diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1 small beet, peeled and diced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh peas.
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups beef broth
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Prepare vegetables and set aside as follows:
- Peel and dice potatoes, carrots, beet and onion.
- Mince garlic and parsley
- Chop mushrooms
- Measure peas.
- Put ground beef, and all the herbs, and vegetables into the skillet, and brown on medium high heat.
- Dust and mix flour into vegetables.
- Slowly stir and add beef broth.
- Mix gently and cook until broth has thickened into a gravy.
- Pour into a prepared Pie shell.
- Place top crust over filling and pinch sides together
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes
- It might be necessary to cover the crust with foil. I cook this for about 15 minute, and then place a foil cover over it to keep the edges from becoming too dark. You can remove the foil the last 5 or ten minutes as well, and allow it to crisp up a little.
- Cool about 10 minutes and serve.
- Makes 1 dozen muffin tin pies.