Friday, December 6, 2013

Homemade Whole Wheat Chocolate Wafers


These Chocolate wafers are great by themselves, or you can use them for other recipes that call for those "Nabisco" type chocolate wafers.  You can also use them to make ice cream sandwiches or even oreo type cookies.  They are quick and easy, and these are a wholesome version using whole wheat flour and sucanat for sugar.





Homemade Chocolate Wafers

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/2 cup Sucanat or Coconut Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan or Real salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 cup Butter, melted
1/4 cup Milk or Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract


Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Put dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
3.  Add the butter and mix until well blended.
4.  Add milk and vanilla and mix until all clings together well.
5.  Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a long and narrow log, about 1 1/2 inches     diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to a week.
6.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
7.  Slice the dough logs into slices; about 1/8 inch thick.
8.  Lay the slices on the baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
9.  Bake for 12 -14 minutes. Test them to see when they are crisp enough. Cool the cookies on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer them to the racks to cool completely – they will crisp up as they cool. These freeze well.

Makes about 6 dozen

Mix your ingredients,  and roll into a log.  Refrigerate for several hours, slice and bake.
You could also roll the dough out and cut them with a round cookie cutter and make them very nice and round like the store bought version; but those are  more time consuming and I don't like taking all the time to do that. 


Bake at 350 degrees for about 14 minutes if you want them crispy.

They make wonderful cookie sandwiches or as is with a nice cup of coffee.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh YUM Mom!!!! I can't wait to try these out!!! I love how they look in that little wooden box too!! They are certainly going to make my cookie list this year! You got me when you said great with coffee!!

    I love you and thanks so much for helping me with my post today!

    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever come visit, I will need to lose an extra 20lbs before visiting. Everything you make looks:
    scrum-dilly-ump-tious!!

    I am hoping to try out some cookies this wknd. John will be gone to drill and I always try and keep busy when he is away.

    Happy wknd!

    ~Cinnamon



    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Pam!

    These look so good. I have the recipe saved and will be trying these this week. I've got almost all my Christmas cookies baked and these would add a nice touch of chocolate for my platters.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word Mom! You are so amazing! The light you captured in these pictures is so pretty! I love how easy these look to make! And the box is so darling! I love you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful recipe! Where and for how long I can store them? In the fridge and room temp?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miglena, if you are going to have them around more than a few days, I would put them in the freezer in an air tight freezer bag. Natural foods don't have the same shelf life as commercially made foods, because they lack the preservatives… but they will freeze well for a couple of months. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete